Self-esteem is your opinion of yourself and how you feel about what you are able to do and not able to do. When you have a healthy self-esteem, you feel good about yourself. Low self-esteem is characterized by low opinions of yourself and a worry that you are not good enough.
Self-esteem is shaped by your own thoughts, how others react to you, social and cultural experiences. Current beliefs about yourself are shaped by interactions with others and the feedback or messages they have given you. If you have had positive interactions with others, you self-esteem will tend to be higher, if you have had primarily negative interactions your self-esteem will be lower.
Your own thoughts have the biggest impact on your self-esteem. You can learn how to control these thoughts by re-framing you negative thinking, and focusing on positive thoughts.
If you find yourself battling the inner critic within, feel down about yourself, are easily upset, and are being self-destructive, you might need help with increasing your self-esteem.
Please contact me to set up a consultation.
In the meantime:
- Focus on the positive
- Make healthy lifestyle choices
- Look at triggers affecting your self-esteem
- Express your wants and feelings without blaming others
- Give yourself options to your thinking
Book a Counselling Session
Eugenio Counselling offers a comfortable, supportive, and safe space to explore difficult issues affecting your life. Anxiety, depression and family counselling.
* Our free initial counselling session is intended to enable you to determine whether therapy, and the therapist is right for you. We will discuss your needs and together determine how to move forward.